7.03.2009

On top of Ol' Pinnacle! All Covered in trees!

Ok, so you get a day off from work. A PAID HOLIDAY. What do you do?
Tottle around the house?
Maybe go shopping?
Me?
I go climb a big ass mountain. haha!

Pinnacle Mountain State Park
West Summit Trail'

Length: 1 1/2 miles round trip
Time: 1 1/2 hours (took us the better part of 3, because I kept stopping because I was EXHAUSTED!!)
Difficulty: Strenuous (no one ever pointed out to me that this was STRENUOUS!)

Description: This rocky trail begins at the park picnic grounds and winds its way to the top of Pinnacle Mountain. From the top is a spectacular view of Lake Maumelle, the Arkansas River Valley, the Ouachita Mountains and west Little Rock. This is truly a breathtaking view. To return, you must retrace your steps or hike down the rugged East Summit Trail and return via the base trail for a total hike of 2 1/2 miles."

-Yeah, ok, so first of all, I haven't hiked this mountain since I was probaly 13 or 14... ok, so a good 12 or 13 YEARS. Plus, Tom and I noticed that a lot of the kids going up and down the mountain didn't seem to FEEL PAIN...

How are they breeding these little demons??

Anyway, in August of 2007, Tom and I had intentions of climbing this mountain, but I was only able to do about 3/10ths of the way up, because it was so hard on my legs... Well, I got this idea, since we're 65 pounds lighter than we were last summer, and we've been walking 3 1/2 miles twice a week, SURELY I could handle a silly little mountain...

oooooooooooooooooooooooooh nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Don't tease the mountain, it's a bitch.

But, Tom was very patient with me, and was so great. He pushed me, but not to the point of pissing me off. He kept telling me "Make a small goal, reach it, and make a new goal" or "Take as long as you need, sweetie, we're making it to the top!" He's so great.

I made it though!!


It took us the better part of 2 hours to go up the mountain, then we loafed around for about 20 or 30 minutes at the top, taking pictures and resting. Then it took us a little less than an hour to get back down... WHEW.

I tell you this much, that mountain honestly felt like I had just done the stair stepper machine for 3 hours... it was crazy. My calf muscles burned, my thighs burned, my back hurt... It was seriously the most rewarding 3 hours I've had in a long time. It was totally worth the hike, once we got to the top, and I couldn't have done it without my wonderful husband, Tom.

I love you, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment